Thursday, August 2, 2012

Those he left behind

Respect, tears, love, laughter, sorrow, emptiness and wonderful memories are words to describe today.  As I watched my loving aunt and three remarkable cousins endure the pain of losing someone they cherished, I sat speechless.  A hero, community servant and caring person was taken too soon from us and I sat feeling:  "this is so unfair."  I wanted to stand up and scream at the top of my lungs, "WHY?????"  He loved his family, his friends and life.  He truly was the type of husband, father, uncle and friend you would want in your life.  As tears rolled down my face, I was reminded of the great adventures we had together and how he just wanted to spend his time surrounded by the ones he loved.  He saw life as:  Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery and today is a gift- that is why it is called the present.  I found myself hugging my boys a little tighter tonight and striving to be more like him.  I wish I would have spent more time listening to his stories (he was a great story-teller), laughing at his jokes and just cherishing the precious moments I had with him.  Tomorrow is a mystery and we never know how much time we have left on Earth.                           
                                     Hug your loved ones a little longer tonight.....I know I will.